BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW FALCON MEMBERS AND PARENTS
Things you need to know!
- Band camp begins for student leaders, drumline and color guard three weeks prior to school starting. All members begin two weeks prior to school starting.
- This is a Mandatory Camp. Schedules are posted on the foothill website fhsbands.com
- Daily they will need: Large water bottle/jug or camelpak, sunscreen, daily transportation to and from and good comfortable lace-up shoes are a must.
- Lunch/dinner is provided by boosters daily.
- Prompt arrival is a must. At least 15-30 min before start so they can get their instruments, bathroom break etc. and be on the field or starting location at start time.
- Have tune-ups and repairs of your instrument done over summer before camp begins.
TUESDAY NIGHT REHEARSALS
- Make plans to watch end of practice on Tuesday night (last 30 minutes of practice) It will help you identify where your student is on the field during performance. It shows your student how much you care about their activity and your support for them. Meet other parents and learn through announcements given at end of practice.
- Please be quiet and not distracting. The director’s need the student’s attention at this time.
- Absolutely no videotaping of shows or rehearsals and posting to social media.
- Students will NOT be ready for pick up immediately after rehearsal ends. There is lots to do to clean up and put away equipment, props, instruments, etc. Please understand students will not be ready for pick up until usually at least 15 minutes after rehearsal ends.
CLOTHING AND GEAR
- Falcon Band uniform is borrowed from the school with some accessory items needed by purchase
- Full Marching uniform, bibs and top- provided by school
- Shako- provided by school
- Plume- provided before use and stored at school between uses
- Gloves- purchased through band office
- Long black socks- purchased by student
- Drill master marching shoes- purchased through band office
- Show t-shirt warn under bibs
- Please keep shako stored in shako box and remember to bring to all performances.
- Extra items like gloves, reeds, socks etc. can be purchased in the band office before events if available and will be charged to students’ Charms acct.
- Color Guard has their own warm ups and clothing – these items are purchased at the beginning of the school year by each member
COMPETITIONS- LOCAL AND AWAY
- No videotaping allowed due to copyright restrictions.
- Bring a camera
- There are admission costs to events. We will try to post information about costs on the Facebook page to keep you informed.
- Many events have concessions available.
- Wear your Foothill show shirt to support the band
- Look for others in the stands and sit together to meet new parents and support our band.
- If planning to attend out of town competitions, especially Red Rocks competition and BOA in Utah (same weekend), look for hotel rooms early, they fill up fast.
- Sign up for the falcon band newsletter on fhsbands.com . This will keep you informed weekly of upcoming activities, meetings, competitions and volunteer opportunities.
- Parents will be asked for food/water donations throughout the year. We are always in need of water and granola bars, fruit, etc. There will be requests posted for these. Thank you in advance.
- Attend Booster Meetings- they are held the first Tuesday evening of the month at 6:30pm in the band or choir room and are planned to be done so that we can go to the field and watch the last half hour of Tuesday night practice. Come be involved! You will hear all about upcoming events and fundraising opportunities and we look forward to feedback and suggestions.
- Attend football games- we perform at halftime for home games
- Stay after football games and watch the band march back from the field. The ending is quite impressive.
- Volunteer at events, it’s a great way to meet other parents and learn about things. Most volunteer opportunities are announced through the newsletter and facebook group.
- Auditions for Honor Band, Solo and Ensemble are right at end of Marching Season.
- Private lessons are a huge plus. If you need help with finding an instructor please ask in the band office.
Payment Plan for Fees
- Marching season fees are monthly payments of $100 starting in April so that the total $500 is payed before the marching season begins.
- Fundraisers will be available all year, look for information in the newsletter and facebook.
- Overall cost of marching band is not covered in the $500 fee total, boosters covers another portion so we need participation in fundraisers to keep fees down. If boosters are unable to fundraise enough then fees increase, help us prevent that from happening.
Follow your child’s Charms acct to keep up to date.